Property Report

Business permits

Council can help you find the right permit and approvals for your business.

In this section, you will find information on applicable business permits, as well Yarra’s new business application support program, which aims to make the whole application process as easy as possible.

Once you’ve identified a property that you’re happy and you’re ready to take the next step in the approcal process, a good place to start is to check “What permits will I need” page on the State Governments business support page.

Once you understand what permits you may need, the next step is to lodge a “Pre-Approval” Application to Council with as much information related to your business as possible.

Once lodged, a member of Yarra’s Economic Development team will be in contact to assist you with your application.

Understanding what permits and approvals you need

Get in contact with a City of Yarra officer who can guide you through the business permit process using our easy to use permit application enquiry form

Permit Information

Depending on the type of business you’re running, you may need one or more permits. You can check out the individual permits below, or you can make an enquiry and a Council officer will be happy to assist.

REGISTER A NEW FOOD BUSINESSFood premises registration | Yarra City Council
PERSONAL CARE AND BODY ART PREMISES REGISTRATIONPersonal care and body art premises registration | Yarra City Council
REGISTER AN ACCOMMODATION BUSINESSAccommodation business registration | Yarra City Council
FOOTPATH TRADING PERMITFootpath trading | Yarra City Council
PARKLET PROGRAMParklet program | Yarra City Council
MOBILE FOOD TRUCK PERMITSMobile Food Truck Permits | Yarra City Council

Liquor Licences Link To Licensing Website

If you require a planning permit to use land to sell or consume liquor, you must lodge an application to Council.

To assist you determine whether or not you need a planning permit, there is planning policy in the Yarra Planning Scheme that is specifically relevant to a licensed premises.

You must apply for a liquor licence through the Victorian Liquor Commission (VLC) who regulate Victoria’s gambling and liquor industries.

Ready to make an application?

Whether you’re opening a new business, or buying an existing business, please tell us via this simple form and we’ll help you with obtaining all of your council permits.